Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

single malt orange marmalade

I've been wanting to make this marmalade since Robert Burn's Night when I found the recipe. Today I had a few hours to myself so I finally got to making it. It is very time consuming but after my first real taste this morning, it is very worth it. First step is to get the zest off 6 oranges and 1 lemon. My peeler wasn't nearly sharp enough so this took forever. Then chop it very fine. Also, grate 4 carrots and 1 granny smith apple and get the juice from the lemon and reserve.
Add all this into a stainless pot with a small handful of allspice wrapped in a cloth. Segment and juice the 6 oranges being careful to keep all seed and pith out of the pot.
Let this cook down for 15 minutes and then add 4 cups of sugar and the lemon juice.
After the marmalade passes the set test, add in 1/4- 1/3 cups of single malt scotch (I used glenfiddich). Skim off any foam and fill clean, boiled jars. Process in a water bath for 10 minutes.
The color is spectacular! And the taste is beyond words!

No comments:

Post a Comment