Search This Blog

Monday, February 20, 2012

Chicken Curry with Chicken Stock rice and veggies


I've had curry on my mind and tastebuds lately but I knew I had to do it mellow to make it family friendly. Saturday I slow cooked a chicken and turned it into curry chicken with chicken stock rice.
For the curry sauce, I sauteed a red onion and 2 cloves of garlic. in olive oil. Once the onions were soft, I added 1 TBSP of curry powder, 1 TBSP cumin and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. I let the spices open up and get fragrant. And then I added 1/4 cup soy sauce and 1/4 cup sesame oil. I let this all cook together, maybe 5 minutes, on low and then added a few cups of the fresh made chicken stock and pieces of the warm chicken to soak up the curry flavor. I didn't want to have it cooking in there too long because I was afraid that would overpower it and the family wouldn't enjoy it as much.
For the rice, I used all fresh chicken stock and no water. It was delicious! Also, in a separate pan I cooked a medley of broccoli, carrots and celery. I added 1 TBSP of olive oil and 1 TBSP sesame oil to the bottom of the pan. And then as it started to cook, I added 2 cups of the fresh chicken stock and put a lid on it to let the veggies steam. This way everyone got to pick the vegetables they would actually eat.
It's rare I'm nervous to present a meal to the family but in this case I was rewarded with compliments and kids asking for seconds!!

No comments:

Post a Comment