Search This Blog

Monday, September 12, 2011

tomato jam



I've heard of people making tomato jam before, but it wasn't d
something I ever thought I'd make. I had a few pounds of cherry tomatoes that needed a home. It was even more than my tomato monster, Isaiah, could eat. If they'd been large tomatoes I would have canned them without a second thought; but what to do with cherry tomatoes? I was scrolling through recipes for tomatoes and came across a few for jam and I thought maybe that would be good, especially with cherry tomatoes. The recipe I did was easy but time consuming. I cut the cherry tomatoes in half and mixed them with three cups of sugar. Then I let that sit for an hour so the sugar can draw out the sweetness of the tomato. When you come back to it there will be quite a bit of fluid. Add to this the juice of two lemons. Now you get all this to boil and then let it simmer until it cooks down. That took me almost an hour. Once its sticky and thick, add the zest of those two lemons and about a quarter cup of roughly chopped basil. It was so suprisingly good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment