Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

apples to candy apples to candy apple pie (with ice cream)

Last winter I had a surplus of apples and so ending up making these candy apples. This year, I had to go out of my way for the apples, but I knew Christmas was going to need these apples again.

4 lbs of apples, cored and sliced into rings. Let them soak in water with either lemon juice or fresh fruit.

The syrup is 4 cups of sugar in 2 cups of water, 1 box of Redhots, 1/3 cup vinegar, 1 TBSP whole cloves. Let the syrup simmer until the candy is melted and then add the apples and let them cook for 5 minutes.


With the leftover syrup, I cooked down the bits of apple not good enough to can as gifts (tops and bottoms, etc). I cooked it for about 15 minutes. Then I tempered it with some butter and added a splash of vanilla. I put this in a shortbread pie crust and baked for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Ohhh. I thought that was strawberry pie in the fridge. I'm on it!

    ReplyDelete