Search This Blog

Saturday, June 5, 2010

strawberry day~ part two

I put strawberries in the dehydrator last night. Today the house is full of the smell of strawberries. It is almost overwhelming. This evening about half were ready to come out of the dehydrator. They taste better than fruit leather. The flavor is intensified quite a bit. Isaiah calls them "candy" and got into the kitchen and stole the container of the finished berries and ran into his room, slammed the door and I'm pretty sure, intended to eat them all. I caught him though, of course.

I also made Strawberry shortcake for dessert tonight. I love my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook.
Strawberry Shortcake
2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 stick butter- grated (trust me)
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
Mix the dry ingredients. Grate the butter into the dry ingredients. In a small bowl, beat the egg a little and then mix it with the milk and then pour this into the dry ingredients. Mix until just wet and pat it into a very greased cake pan. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.
I had a few jars of jam that didn't set so I used that as the middle filling along with some whipped cream. On top I spooned on strawberries mashed with 1/4 cup sugar. And then plenty of whipped cream on top.

oh yum. xoxo

1 comment: