Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

pie and kimchi

Yesterday after another day of strawberry picking I made this lemon strawberry pie. It needed to sit for 4 hours so we didn't eat it until tonight. It was great and not too terrible for you either.
Strawberry Lemon Pie
First make a grahm crust (6 crackers with melted butter smushed down into a pie plate).
Mix 2 boxes fat free cream cheese with 1 7 ounce jar of marshmallow creme (gross, I know, but not too too terrible). Add 1 TBSP lemon juice. Once this is light and fluffy, mix in 2 cups strawberries. I think I should have drained my berries awhile. The pie didn't set well. But it was still awesome.




I've been talking about making Kimchi for awhile. With our latest scheme to try and eat food from every nation in the World Cup, it seemed like the time. So I started it yesterday. I put the nappa cabbage in a salt water brine over night. Today I started putting it all together to ferment.
~garlic, ginger, grated carrot and radish, green onion

~finely chopped brined nappa cabbage.

~salt, sugar, chilis and fish sauce

It says to leave this on the counter for 24 hours and then put it in the fridge for 2-3 days. I'm not sure what to expect. But I will tell you something- Fish sauce smells TERRIBLE! Food is such an experiment, and I love that.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm very impressed! I'd definitely give it a taste, though you never know how it'll turn out. I hope it's decent. Please give an update.

    Traditionally, they make enormous amounts of this and put it in large clay pots underground for months. That's serious fermentation.

    Strawberry pie and kimchi is a rather odd combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The combination made me laugh. Goes to show what crazy food passes through my kitchen! You never know what will come next.

    We'll try it, for sure. I've been wanting to make some for so long. I would assume once the flavors mix and it ferments a bit, it will smell totally different. I think I might let it sit on the counter another day. The sugar in there should keep it from molding. I think the more "ferment-y" it gets, the better.
    I'll let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete