Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Molasses Cake

Some days just need cake! I haven't been baking as much since it got warm out. But today had a nice cool breeze so I went for it. I also make enchaladas from scratch. It was a nice afternoon in my kitchen.

I got this recipe from allrecipes.com .
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup molasses
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup hot, brewed coffee
In the kitchenaid, I mixed the shortening and brown sugar. Once creamed, add the molasses and eggs. Then the spices, flour and soda. Last add the hot coffee (slowly!)
It will be kinda wet. Pour it in a oiled cake pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
I needed a frosting but didn't have any classic frosting ingredients so I mixed brown sugar, a few tablespoons of sour cream and cream cheese. Then I added a tablespoon of milk and whipped it up. It was the perfect frosting for this cake.

I love the colors of molasses cakes and cookies; so beauitufl and rich. Enjoy! xoxo

1 comment: