Search This Blog

Monday, April 5, 2010

opening day!

Baseball is one of the few things that has not changed much in my life. The sounds of baseball are the sounds of summer. I don't follow the details and averages and all that jazz- I just watch, listen, enjoy and let the feel of summer wash over me.


Today is opening day and I'm watching my Tigers. I thought I'd make it an event with the kids so I made a batch of Cracker Jack. I got the bulk of the recipe from this blog: Mommy's Kitchen. I've tried to make caramel corn before and it was terrible. This is great. I'm eating it right now!


In a sturdy, tall saucepan mix 1/4 cup margarine, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 3 Tbs corn syrup, 1/2 tsp salt. Once the margarine melts, let it boil over low heat for 3 minutes. Then add 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp vanilla and wisk it quickly and then pour over the popcorn and peanuts (have them prepared and on oiled cookie sheets).

Mix it up a bit and pop it in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Then dump it out on some waxed paper and mix it up and break up any clumps. Once it cools, it's ready to eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment