Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

rustic apple cake

We had ambrosia apples this week. They are the best tasting apples I have ever tasted; and I have tried a lot of varieties of apples.

They were so good in fact, I thought they deserved to be cake!

Rustic Apple Cake (adapted from honey And jam)
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 apple, peeled, cored, and cut into 16 pieces
2 tablespoons of turbinado sugar

In my kitchenaid, I creamed the margarine and sugar for 2 minutes. Then I added the eggs one at a time. Next I added the vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon. Once that was well blended I added the flour, baking powder and salt.
Mix until just blended and then spoon into a greased cake pan. I also used a round of parchment in the pan so it would come up easily. This batter is very thick- but try to spread it evenly. Then arrange the apple slices so that each piece of cake will get 3 slices. Sprinkle the turbinado sugar on top.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until light brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
The kids had theirs with whipped cream, but I liked it just as it is. xoxo

1 comment:

  1. that looks delicious! We were both apple-y yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete